6.26.2012

Dear Grandpa,
One year ago today we were eating yummy leftovers from Micah and Lindsey's rehearsal dinner party. We were looking through all of the pictures from the gorgeous wedding the nite before. One year ago today, I was sincerely thanking God that you had been in attendance with Grandma and was able to share in Micah and Lindsey's special day. Thanking God that we were able to have family pictures taken with the bride and groom and everyone else in their wedding finery. The pictures from the nite before were the last we'd ever take together. 
One year ago today, I stood in your kitchen and you told me you were ready to go to your heavenly home. I tried to laugh it off and told you that we weren't done having you make pancakes for us yet. But you weren't joking. You were tired and in pain and the reality of your sickness scared me. One year ago today was the last time my kids saw you on this side of glory. I'm sure they didn't even really say goodbye because no one knew how quickly you were going to leave us. 
If I could go back one year ago today, I wouldn't change much of anything. Just that my kids would have said a proper goodbye with a great big hug. Maybe you could have mustered enough strength to play a round of "chase with Papa". And maybe another picture or two.
Love, Maria 

No comments: