12.31.2012

Lookin' Back~ 2012


It's been 3 years since I've done a recap on our year around Hosmerville. With so many changes and the kids growing so quickly, I figured I gotta save the memories while I can.  2012, what a year of change and growth! 

1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before? Umm, we moved 1,040 miles away from everything and everyone we have ever known and loved. No biggie.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't do resolutions, but I do like the idea of a new year and a fresh start, a brand new calendar full of unmarked pages. When I think about 2013 there are definite things I would like to accomplish, definite areas where I'd like to grow as a wife and mom, and in my walk with Christ.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes! It is killing me that one of my besties, Shannon, gave birth to beautiful baby Chase and I have yet to hold him, smell him, and indulge in all things baby. I'm afraid he's going to be a little man before I get my hands on him.

4. Did anyone close to you die? Thank goodness, no! There is such a grieving process with the death of a loved one. 2011 was filled with an overwhelming sadness in saying my earthly goodbye to my grandpa. In 2012, the process continued. I still think about my grandpa all the time and miss him so much. Some days are easy, some days are hard.

5. What states/countries did you visit? Well, we traveled through Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, and into Louisiana 3 times. One crazy, whirlwind round trip that I did with the kids and dog in an attempt to find school and housing before our big move and then once more from Michigan to Louisiana as we moved Hosmerville south. And, being so close to the western edge of Louisiana, one cannot live in Shreveport and not go to Texas every once in awhile;)

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? Trust in God. Not that I didn't have any last year, but I want this year to be the year where trusting Him is an automatic response in all situations. I want it to become natural and I want it to go deep.

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? July 1st~ Tom said goodbye to us and headed to Dallas to start his new career with Chrysler. For the next 5 weeks, I played single parent while wrapping up our life in Michigan and preparing for our big move south. August 11th~ M day, as in Moving Day!!! August 13th~ arriving in Shreveport and having 24 hours to somewhat settle in before the kids started their school year.

8. What was your biggest achievement? Living my dream of being a SAHM!!! I *love* that I am so blessed!!!

9. What was your biggest failure? Trying to do it all in my own strength.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? worst.flu.bug.ever.

11. What was the best thing you bought? I'm taking this from 2009~ my children's education. We may be at a different school, but nothing compares to knowing that my kids are getting  solid education while being surrounded by people who live God's love in their lives and in their classrooms. 

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? I think our whole family deserves this recognition. We moved cross~country and not only have we survived, we have thrived!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Everyone makes mistakes, right?

14. Where did most of your money go? Moving from Michigan to Louisiana is expensive business!

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Starting our life in Louisiana. I mean, if you're gonna have a completely fresh start in a brand new city and state, you might as well have a positive attitude about it, right?

16. What song will always remind you of 2012? "Blessed Be Your Name" by Matt Redman. No matter what, God remains constant. Bless His name!

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
 a) happier or sadder? I'm pretty happy and content. So sad to be missing my Michigan family and friends! b) thinner or fatter? I'd better start being a bit more careful with my eating habits or else I'm not going to be able to be comfortable in my clothes. c) richer or poorer?  Blessed beyond what we deserve!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Coffee and playdates with friends while I still had the opportunity.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying. Don't regret the past, find joy in today, and anticipate the future.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
 Just the 6 of us (we can't forget Ed;) Austin playing Madden 13 all day, while Lexi serenaded us to music from her new guitar and Audrey adjusted to riding her new "big kid" mountain bike.

21. Did you fall in love in 2012? An old love with God being slowly rediscovered and made new.

22. What was your favorite TV program? We cut out TV completely to save money but we do have Netflix. Lately we've been catching up on past episodes of "Cake Boss". I want to be Italian and eat lots of cake!!!

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope, hate makes your heart heavy and your life miserable.

24. What was the best book you read? I'm discovering the book of Esther through Beth Moore's "Esther" study. It has been absolutely fabulous to be so reaffirmed as all my lady friends know that "it's tough being a woman!"

25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Lexi's guitar playing. I look forward to her developing her talent.

26. What did you want and get? My new "job"~ being a SAHM! (Although Audrey claims the only one with a job is Tom;)

27. What did you want and not get? A trip back to Michigan to spend Christmas with our families an friends.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? This is so lame but I really looked forward to "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days". Austin loves the books and Lexi picked going to the theater for her birthday celebration.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I don't even remember, 32 must not be the age to celebrate;) I did get to go shopping with Lindsey to the outlet malls and scrapbooking with her the following weekend, both for my birthday. And Shannon and I and our guys had dinner at Olive Garden to celebrate our birthdays.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Selling our Michigan house and not having to deal with the whole renting business~ ugh!

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? If my pinterest boards were a true~to~life reflection of what is hanging in my closet, I'd be one hot mama! 

32. What kept you sane? Facebook~ it's my way to stay connected to all my faraway fam and friends and pinterest is my little "escape".

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? eh, no one really.

34. What political issue stirred you the most? I don't "do" politics. The presidential election sure did stir everyone up!

35. Who did you miss? EVERYONE!!!

36. Who was the best new person you met? How can I pick just one best new person after meeting so many great people!?!? The Bagleys~ Leon and Doris, Bill, Maty, and Will, Erin Curren (my best Louisiana friend;), our great new church family at Grand Cane Baptist, the list goes on...

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012~ God's plan for my life is perfect. If I can trust Him in perfect obedience to follow His path for me, He will bless me beyond measure.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year~ "Spendin' my life out in the desert, been gone so long feels like forever. I just want to be closer to you, I just want to be even closer. I am yours, you can have all of me, anything, everything, I just want to be closer"~ Shawn McDonald, Closer

No comments: