8.01.2015

Summer 2k15~ Day 37

Wouldn't ya know that the house we're renting right now happens to be about 6 miles from where my grandpa was first posted with the Michigan State Police! Considering we never knew this part of the family history & the fact that we looked all over the greater metro Detroit area before settling on our current Hosmerville, this is a crazy coincidence!

My mom brought my grandpa over to his old stompin' grounds for the day & he was able to see our home & take us on a personal tour of our present surroundings. 


This was the house my grandpa had built for the family. He & my grandma had 5 kids in this cute little home. He was able to reminisce over some of the house's features with the current owner after we reassured her that we weren't crazy psychos to call the police on. 


This house was the former post for the Michigan State Police. It was just a couple blocks north of my grandparents' family home. 


My grandpa rented the upstairs space of this house right next door to the police post after he was first assigned to the area & was waiting for the builders to finish the family home. 



Wedding crashers! We tiptoed into this church just in time to catch the bride's procession to the altar. Gorgeous wedding ceremony aside, we were able to peek into what is now a prayer room to see the space where one of my aunts was one of the first babies to be baptized after the church was built. 

Grandpa hasn't been back to the area for a good 50 years so it's safe to say that things have slightly changed over the years. His memory, though, is solid and Tom & I both enjoyed our trip back thru time with him. 





No comments: