4.22.2008

Happy Birthday To Me!

Today has been a fabulous day! I gave myself the best birthday present and forced my lazy butt out of bed to begin my day showered and dressed before the kids woke up. It is amazing how much more smoothly things seem to go if I have my time in the morning before the kids and yet how hard it is do make myself do it every day. Anybody else have that problem?
Anyways, the sun was shining and I had the whole day off! I made a yummy new recipe for birthday brunch- baked pears with granola, cheddar cheese, and brown sugar. It made the whole house smell delicious. Then the kids and I got outside to enjoy the sunshine before heading back in for lunch. Did I mention it was GORGEOUS today!?! I was so excited! I told the kids that God had given me the best birthday present ever- a sunshiny day with my kids (they weren't exactly impressed;p)
I dropped Austin off at school and decided to splurge and take my van through the car wash. I think the last time I did this was, um, never and we've had the van for over a year. So I pulled in and saw a sign for a free platinum car wash on your birthday. Score!!! I definitely would not have paid $12 for the wash I received, but it was free and it did make a noticeable difference.
I took Audrey and Lexi with me to track practice today (my babysitter had color guard tryouts). They had a blast running around in the gym and bouncing on the high jump pit. My track girls surprised me with a card and cake so we had an impromptu birthday celebration after their workout. After having so much fun at practice with me I will be hard pressed convincing my girls that practice is "boring" and they'll have more fun at home with Megan.
We headed over to Finley's for dinner because you get a free dinner on your birthday. We got the bill and discovered that kids also eat free on Tuesdays so we only had to pay for our drinks and Tom's dinner. Double score!!! On the way home, Audrey started to fall asleep so we made a quick pit stop at the park. (Seriously, if this girl sleeps even 5 minutes she will be up ALL nite- trust me!) We let the kids run around for 10 minutes and then headed home.
I was able to stick them all in the tub before my mom showed up to take over kid duties. Before Tom and I headed out for an "adult" evening I peaked in on Lexi who was snuggled in with her boo piggy quietly singing "Happy Birthday"- too cute! So Tom was going to take me out to celebrate the big 2-8. Only problem is, this is Jackson. At 9 pm. On a Tuesday nite. Zero interesting movies playing, and not a whole lot of other options. We ended up at the Bone Island Grill. He got dessert and I got a pina colada. Then we headed over to Target 10 minutes before closing time. I had birthday money burning a hole in my pocket. I really, really wanted a new bag or some new summer shoes, but I really, really needed some new summer shirts. I found a turquoise polo on clearance and decided to save the rest of my stash for better sales.
We returned home and my mom helped me clean up my kitchen before heading off. As an oh-so-mature-28-year-old (hah!) my day was practically perfect. Sunshine, quality time with the kids, great food, new clothes, date nite, and a clean home. Makes me wish every day was my birthday!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday

lina said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a great day :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday!! =)

Julie said...

I'm happy that you had such a perfect day! You can't ask for anything better that that, huh! Happy Belated Birthday!

Me said...

Happy belated birthday!!!