5.29.2013

Award Recap

The kids and I did their "special boxes" today. I save the best and most memorable trinkets, papers, art work, and certificates and keep them in Rubbermaid containers for each of the kids, aka "special boxes". I used to drive myself nuts with the random piles I'd create as I set school work aside to later put in their boxes which are stored under their beds. It's much easier to move piles to and fro as I needed counter or table space for other projects than to just pull the boxes out and deposit special items as they came around. 

In my mind, at least.

About a year ago I hit upon a system in which I stash all said specialties in an empty kitchen drawer until drawer gets so full that I can't close it. Then I'll pull out all 3 boxes and the kids will reminisce as I transfer stuff from drawer to box, using my beloved Sharpie to mark the dates and translate kindergarten scrawl. I know, I know. I'm a little OCD about said system, but it works. 

So humor me.

Anyways, the end of the school year last week also meant the influx of all classroom related papers, projects, and paper mache (not really, but I was going for alliteration and needed another "P" word). I planned an "organize special boxes" into our 2013 Hosmerville Summer o' Fun knowing:
  1. I haven't added to these boxes since we moved nearly 10 months ago &
  2. That when the kids came home those last few days that their backpacks would be full~to~bursting. 
Today was that day.

We sat down and went through a school year's worth of goodies (but not before having to pull out treasures from years' past and then pile them NOT IN ORDER!) *ahem* OCD mom attempted the "it's chill" mom mindset for oh, all of about 5 minutes before she couldn't handle her carefully chronologically ordered special boxes being reduced to piles of  8 and 6 1/2 years of chaos. (You can guess which of the kiddos were reliving the good ol' days of their childhoods with me.)

With the End of the Year Awards Ceremony still at the front of my mom brain, I'm jotting down the awards my prodigies offspring received. For years~down~the~road~reference only, of course. And definitely not so this momma can brag;)

Austin:
  • Principal's List: All A's
  • Star Reader 
  • 4th Grade Obedience Award (based on Hebrews 13:17)
Audrey:
  • A/B Honor Roll
  • Silliest Robot (in the robot building contest)
  • Rising Reader
  • Super Reader
  • 2nd Grade Faith Award (based on Hebrews 11:1)
  • Perfect Attendance for the ENTIRE school year
Lexi:
  • Principal's List: All A's
  • 1st Grade Obedience Award (based on Hebrews 13:17)
  • Perfect Attendance for the ENTIRE school year

The girls were overlooked for their perfect attendance during the awards ceremony but when their report cards came and I saw the mistake we stopped by the office and they were sweet enough to double check their records and print off certificates.

And now that the special boxes are back in birth~through~respective~ages order and my kitchen drawer is clutter free, I'm breathing easy again.

No comments: