2.24.2010

You'd Think He's Being Tortured

It started at breakfast when I oh~so~casually mentioned to Austin that I would be picking him up early from b~ball practice yesterday. I would have preferred to leave it at that but he persisted and asked why. So I dropped the bomb. His 7 year check up was that afternoon. The panic was instant. The last thing I wanted to deal with during our crazy morning routine. But I didn't want to completely ambush him in front of his team when I arrived to pick him up.


I arrived at 3:45 for him and the whining and negotiations started immediately. He knew he was getting a finger poke first thing so he suggested that the nurse could just get his newly formed scab (from roller skating that am) wet and get blood that way. He also claimed that he "didn't need them to tell me I'm healthy because I already know".




The task of peeing into a cup distracted him momentarily. (I almost got a smile out of him as he took aim.) And nurse Sally was so quick with the finger poke by the time he saw it coming it was over. Whew. He topped the scales at a whopping 48 lbs. and measured in at 49 3/4 inches. His weight was my biggest concern going into the appointment. To put this all into perspective I had Audrey jump on the scale while we were waiting. She is exactly 25 months younger than Austin and weighs 44 lbs. Hmm... See exhibit A for my case in point (this kid is skin and bones!)

exhibit A


Meal time is a battle every day. He fights me on everything I serve. Well, almost everything. There are usually no objections if he's pounding down a foot long from Subway or a double cheeseburger from McD's but healthy diets do not consist of only meat, cheese, and mayo. The biggest fight is getting him to eat his veggies. His favorites... pickles and tomatoes served in ketchup or sauce form ONLY.
As it turns out, he's just tall and skinny like his dad. He's in the 40th percentile for weight and the 75th for height. Dr. Rao did pause slightly before finally saying in his wonderful accent, "well, he won't be a fat boy." So if the doc isn't concerned, then I shouldn't be either. But still, I don't want the public judging me when I'm out with my pale, anorexic~looking child. So we'll work on it.
Finally, nurse Sally sweeps in with gum and stickers and (dum, dum, DUM) a shot! She tells him to squeeze my hand really hard (to which I jokingly protest) and blow out like there are birthday candles in front of him. Again, she's so fast there's barely time for objection. Done and over just like that and I didn't even break a sweat. Double whew.
On the way out he guilt trips me into a cross town trip to Maggie Moo's and since ice cream is sounding pretty darn good, I relent. (Plus, all those extra calories will be good for us the kids.) As we eat our treats (cheesecake and fresh banana ice cream mixed with caramel for me, so yum! and blue cotton candy with mini gummy bears for the kids, so clothes staining!) Austin can't help but suddenly mention to Audrey that she'll be going back for her 5 year check up soon. To which the panic immediately sets in. Ahh, kids! Gotta love 'em. I'm sure there will be more Maggie Moo's involved. And you gotta love that, too!

No comments: