8.28.2009

Things That Make You Go Oh!!!

It was one of those questions that every mother knows is eventually coming, but can never quite prepare herself to hear. "Mommy, how did we get out of your tummy?" Yikes!!! Miss Audrey posed the question in the van yesterday. I cannot remember how our conversation actually led to that point, but here is how it ended:
Audrey: how did we get out of your tummy?
me: well, I pushed really hard and you came out. (evasive maneuvers)
Austin: is the hole still there? (what, you mean babies don't just magically appear outside the belly?)
me: (vaguely) it's always there.
Austin: nu~uh, you don't have a hole on your tummy.
me: (oh, man!) well, when mommies can't have their babies the regular way, the doctor cuts open her tummy and pulls the baby out. That's called a cesarean section. Then the doctor sews the hole up with stitches and when it heals, the mommy has a scar but not a hole. (biting the bullet) But I didn't have to have a c~section, I had you the regular way and pushed you out a hole and that hole is called a _____ (insert your word of choice here, but, yes, in Hosmerville we use the "real" words and they already know plenty about this word).
Austin: ooohhh! (said in wonderment like this bit of information was the missing piece to his puzzle of life and now with this revelation everything finally made sense.)
There was a big pause to the conversation in which I could only imagine Austin was busy contemplating how he, in fact, had been born. Then a big exclamation:
Austin: that's disgusting!!!
Then another big pause.... like it was almost too much for him to imagine:
Austin: that's DISGUSTING!!!
Fast forward to this morning, Audrey had stripped down naked because she had wet the bed and Austin caught a glimpse of her naked bottom.
Austin: Audrey, I can see your baby hole!
At least they haven't asked how the babies get in their mommy's tummy... YET!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

OMG Maria I LOOVE this HAHAH!

Leslie Collins said...

Never a dull moment @ the Hosmer household!!! hahaha. Too funny. In this case, I think that honesty is the best policy. :)

Mandy said...

Now I know why Hiley was hysterical--in our house it's a "yoni," which is a word for that bit of anatomy meaning "gateway to nirvana." LoL

My mom totally got to cop out on this one because I was C-section. Tessa doesn't seem to really care.