9.02.2009

I Need A (Summer) Vacation

The honeymoon is over. Two days into the new school year and I'm ready for summer vacation to be here. I knew going into this year that mornings would be an issue. They were last year and I only had to get one child up and ready for school. Now I'm responsible for 2, one of which is a diva, being in school by 8:10am.
I've been thinking thru our morning routine for weeks now. Anticipating where the problem spots would be and how to avoid them before they even became an issue.
  • Problem spot #1: getting Audrey dressed in dress code appropriate clothing... without a battle.
  • Solution: reserve the bottom bar in the girls' closet for school clothes ONLY.
  • Problem spot #2: wearing socks/tights as opposed to going barefoot.
  • Solution: buy brand new "school" socks and explain that this is a non~negotiable school rule.
  • Problem spot #3: slow moving kids in the morning.
  • Solution: Allow for 15 minutes of cartoons to "wake up".

The list could go on and on. Yesterday was a good day. I chalked this up to everything being exciting and new. The anticipation of a new school year hung in the air and everything went smoothly. I ran, showered, dressed, and had my hair done before going out the door. (Quite the accomplishment in itself as that doesn't usually happen till late afternoon.) I even had time for a quick photo session with the kids before having them in their respective classrooms before the bell rang. Woo Hoo!!!

Today was a different story. I skip the morning run and shower and stay in bed till 7. I worked 3rds last nite and my body just won't run on 3 hours sleep. No biggy, I pull on a hat, apply more deodorant and call it good. Wake the kids up. Wednesday mornings are waffle mornings. Austin freaks because he wants mini pancakes. I tell myself "I am not going to lose it." Calmly explain Wednesdays = waffles. Eat them or go hungry. He eats them.

Next up, Audrey is a limp noodle who can't possibly get dressed by herself although she managed just fine yesterday. Decide it's not worth the battle and proceed to attempt to put her tights on. She freaks because they feel funny. Hmm, wonder why when she's sprawled horizontal across the chair and I'm trying to stuff her legs in? Tell myself "I Am Not Going To Lose It". Offer to try her school socks instead. Of course, the seam across the toe "bodders" her. She rips them off. Tell myself "I AM NOT GOING TO LOSE IT". I walk away. She goes for round 2 with the tights.

Austin gets his sweatshirt on over his polo. His shirt bunches up underneath. He freaks... again. Tell myself "I AM NOT GOING TO LOSE IT". I dress Lexi, Austin comes to terms with his sweatshirt and we all watch Audrey do the diva dance as she tries to get her fleece on over her dress, refusing all help, of course. I can't help but think as I stand there and watch her that someday she will be me and her daughter will be her. Smile to myself as I remember that paybacks are hell.

We all get into the van, Audrey still screaming loud enough to give the neighborhood a wake up call. Tell myself "I AM NOT GOING TO LOSE IT!!!"

I lose it.

By the time we reach school, the kids have learned that it costs a lot of money to go to their school! It is a privilege! It is a sacrifice for mommy and daddy to send them there! Daddy could be driving a new car if they didn't go to their school! We could go to Disney for a really long time and do alot of really fun things, and eat alot of really yummy food for the amount of money it costs to send them to school! Etc., etc., etc.!!! And most importantly, they have learned that mommy has really, truly lost it. But what more could they expect, really, since I'm functioning on 3 hours of sleep and haven't had my coffee yet?

Tomorrow is a new day. I will not lose it.

2 comments:

Leslie Collins said...

you poor thing! i hope that tomorrow miss diva gives you an easier time. see you tomorrow! :)

Mandy said...

Yay for super-sensors...Tessa was one too. I'd tell you it gets easier but I only have one child, so little perspective....and frankly, it doesn't. hang in there mama!