7.02.2008

Christmas In July

I got something in the mail on Monday. Something big. Something so big that the mere appearance of it caused me to jump up and down screaming causing the kids to consider (once again) admitting mom to the psycho ward. There was rumor that Tom & I might receive this but I refused to give into the hope or dream that I actually would until I had it in my greedy little hands. And then came Monday, the day I've been anxiously awaiting 2 looong months. As I stood with baited breath and trembling hands, I tore open the envelope and gazed at the bold print numbers before me: $2100. A very generous and VERY much appreciated gift from our lovely federal government in the form of our economic stimulus check. Wow! It's good to be American. And even better to be one with 3 little darlings!
As a loyal citizen of this beloved country I felt it my patriotic duty to go forth and "stimulate". And I promptly did. Within 2 hours, I was out the door with kids in tow. First, we picked up some flower flats at a sale to benefit JCS; I snagged 4 flats and a hanging basket for $21. Then we headed to McD's. Sensing my gleeful mood, Austin pounced and asked very sweetly for a Happy Meal. I was going to order off the dollar menu, but, what the heck, I still had $2079 hot ones to throw around. And on the pretense of being a thoughtful wife (but really just to get his John Hancock on aforementioned check), we took Tom a sweet tea at work.
Next stop, the bank. I briefly considered cashing the check, as opposed to just depositing it, and asking for all $1's so I could throw it around and roll in it naked but after considering that my actions might send a distorted message about money to my kids, I reconsidered and made a hefty deposit. Then we were on to Target to "stimulate" a little bit more. I picked up a new cordless phone and the kids each picked out new shovels for the sand box. Hey, what can I say, I'm a big spender.
Today I had a couple of small splurges: Audrey had her 3 years pics taken, the kids all got new footwear from baby GAP, I got a gourmet cup of coffee and we lunched at McD's again. Yes, it's good to be rich but alas reality is setting in and I must reign in my spending. There are bills to send out and debt to be paid off. *sigh* I hope that the $150 I did drop was enough to "stimulate" our struggling economy. What about you, have you done any recent stimulating?

4 comments:

Nicole said...

YAY for the economic stimulus check! I can't wait to get ours. WEll, I guess I can... its just going to pay our mortgage this summer while I'm off work. Boo!

Your post cracked me up... cashing it out in ones and rolling around naked in it HAHA!

Leslie Collins said...

I had a quick second to check blogs @ work...shhhh...don't tell. This post was cracking me up.

We received our check a while ago and it was probably spent the day it arrived. :(

Glad to hear that you enjoyed a little for yourself. That's always fun. It's so tempting to just go blow it on something fun, isn't it?!

Julie said...

Yes, getting a large sum of money in the mail is always very exciting. As for us, well, we probably had that money spent at least 3 months in advance. It went right into the bank to fill the hole we left from stimulating the economy in advance. :-)
Loved your hilarious story!

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

I liked that idea of cashing it out and rolling around in it naked!! LMAO!!! We got ours awhile ago and bought a much needed mattress and box spring set for $1000. Not sure what happened to the rest?!?! LOL!