9.12.2008

Playing Hooky












It's only the second week of school and Austin's already sick. His asthma flared up this week and last nite was pretty rough. I called the office to let them know he wouldn't be coming today. I think I'm more crushed than he is (only because now he has no chance at getting perfect attendance K-12). Ahh, the crazy hopes and dreams I have for my kids~ living vicariously through their little lives.=) Now we're just waiting for the doc to get back to the office from doing his hospital rounds. It's rainy and dreary~ a perfect day to lay low and chill. Maybe we'll swing by the library after Austin's appointment and check out some movies and come home to be lazy for the day.

Anyways, I'm a bit late on this one but I wanted to post about Austin's first day of school for memory's sake. He was so excited. The morning went well~ breakfast, getting dressed, loading the kids, and getting him to school on time. We walked in just as his teacher was leading all of the early arrivals from the gym down to the room. Austin jumped right into the back of the line. He was ready! I filmed him finding his coat hook for the first time and hanging up his back pack. I didn't realize it at the time but watching the video later, Austin hangs up his bag and marches right into his classroom, high fiving his teacher on the way in! No "good bye, mom" or anything *sniff, sniff* So as I sat watching my "footage" from the morning, I thought to myself~ wow! what a defining moment! My little man is off to conquer the world. Austin must have sensed the unspoken transition as he left his mommy's side and walked confidently into his classroom for the first time because he piped up from behind me, "and that's when I became a kindergartner!" *sniff, sniff, waahhh!!!*

The girls and I hung back and watched Austin through the big windows for a minute before joining him in the classroom. I helped him find his spot and took a couple of pictures. By that time other parents were saying their good byes and a couple of his classmates were starting to cry. I was worried for a split second that Austin would pick up on the tears, but no need to worry! Mommy was the only one with tears that morning. I asked Austin if he needed a kissing hand and when he told me no I held back my urge to ask him if I could have a kissing hand. I had to hunt down Audrey who was busy making new friends in the playhouse and headed out into the day to learn how to live my mornings without my baby Jamers by my side.






The morning went by quickly and we headed back to the school to pick Austin up. His teacher brought all of the kids out to the parking lot and loaded them into the waiting vehicles one by one. As Austin got settled and we drove away he exclaimed, "it's just like the drive-thru!" Yes, I'll have an Austin with a side of fries and a Pepsi, please!

2 comments:

Leslie Collins said...

Hope Austin is feeling better. Have a nice weekend.

Julie said...

Sorry to hear about Austin being sick. Hopefully it won't last too long and he'll be back to feelin' good again!