12.03.2007

Add It To His Resume

Tom surprised me tonite with a copy of Jackson24, a book recently published by The Jackson Cit Pat. This summer the paper asked for Jacksonians to send in pictures taken on September 7, noting the subjects, place, and time. Tom submitted several of Austin and Audrey standing on the Falling Waters Trail, which runs behind our backyard. They were cute, of course they're my kids, but nothing special. The paper never got back with us and we never thought anything more of it, until today. His co-worker Stu had been thumbing through a copy and found our precious darlings on page 87. TJ is so proud of himself and has informed me that he will be adding "published photographer" to his resume=).
Now on a more negative note, oooooo!, and I hope I don't offend anyone. But ya know what, it's my blog so I'm gonna say it. I quickly skimmed a rather large article on the front page of yesterday's paper (Sunday). It was entitled, "Is City's Image Holding Us Back?- Self-esteem an old problem for Jackson. " The article goes on to describe how Jackson has always struggled with its self-esteem issues. Quoting the article, "Jackson does not have an identity that's promotable. There is a perception that Jackson is not a good place." Hence, Hosmerville's nickname for our lovely town- Jackabama. Really, I grew up in Jackson, lived in Grand Rapids for 5 years, and jumped at the chance to move back home to be closer to family and friends. Everyone in GR could not understand why we would move back and Tom and I always defended our little hometown. But, seriously, now that I'm back, I can really understand why they were asking. Again, from the article, "It's like people are incredulous that anyone would want to come here," DuPuis said (owner of DuPuis et Fils Jewelers).
"Thirty-three years ago, Jackson adopted the slogan "We Like It Here" to build citizen pride. Community boosters complained that Jackson's worst detractors were its residents." (quoted directly from the article). So the very same paper that laments Jackson's self-esteem puts out Jackson24. Has anyone else seen this book??? On the FRONT cover of the book is a photograph, the ONLY photograph besides the title- Jackson24- and the subtitle- An ordinary day of extraordinary events. The photograph pictures a young mother sitting on her run down front porch steps kissing her baby. The description of the picture tells that this 23 year old mother is waiting for her other daughter's bus to arrive home. Why this picture over any other picture? Why was it chosen to grace the front cover of a book whose purpose was to "demonstrate why Jackson County is a wonderful place to call home" (quoting from Eileen Lehnert's, editor of the Jackson Cit Pat, short intro on the front cover of the book). I mean is this picture really how we want Jackson defined to the outside world? Is this the best we have to offer as a community?
I know I really should say more. More on the little details of the photograph and description that make it such ironic choice for this book (in my opinion), more on how I'm not a hater of single mothers and their children fathered by more than one man (assumption). More on how God loves them as much as he loves me or anyone else in this world. But the more I say, the deeper I'll probably dig myself into this hole. So let's just leave it at this: the said picture, although probably a very accurate portrayal of many people in this town, would not have been my choice for the front cover of the book. Period.

4 comments:

Leslie Collins said...

Hello, First off, we had a great time with your mom and the girls last night. We had dinner at your grandparents, too.

I loved the pic Tom took. ANd yes, I completely agree with the picture on the front. WHat the heck?? I understand why nobody would want to come here. We are here for our family and nothing much more.

Julie said...

Wow...this post is pretty deep. I can tell you are really fired up about this. I haven't seen the picture, nor have I read the article in the newspaper, but I think I can understand where you are going with this. That's awesome that the pictures of the kids got published in the book. How exciting!

Nicole said...

OGM OMG OMG girl.. post a PICTURE Of that book! I want to see the cover. I totally TOTALLY *get* what you're saying and I can quite clearly imagine what kind of girl is on the cover. POST a picture, pleeeaase!

Nicole said...

The link with a picture.
http://blog.mlive.com/citpat_extra/2007/11/jackson24_available_at_many_lo.html