12.19.2007

Hallelujah!!!

Tonite was my last basketball game of the season- yipee! My girls are disappointed because they like watching and then trying to imitate the cheerleaders. Audrey is constantly saying, "watch this" and busting out a cute little dance move. She is hilarious. Austin is the usual halftime entertainment at the games. He takes his ball with him to every game and waits for the teams to clear the floor so that he can shoot on the big hoop.
This year I had an extremely good group of girls, the best yet in my five seasons as coach. Perhaps not the most talented but definitely full of spirit and ambition- in a good way. Their attitudes were great and I didn't have to deal with any team conflict. Usually it's like, "like, omigosh, she purposely chose Brandon as her secret basketball player and she knows that I've, like, had a crush on him since, like, kindergarten and did you see her pink nails, they totally don't match our purple uniforms ....." Waah, waah, waah, save the drama for your mama. Which they do of course. I can pretty much bet my coaching check that during the first official week of the season I'll have at least one parent calling to express "concern" over some cheerleading related issue. I've even had parents calling me to complain that the other cheerleaders weren't being nice to their daughters in the classroom. Yeah, like I can ESP niceness to my cheerleaders in school. He-llooo, mothers, your daughters are 12 and 13 years old, cut the apron strings and let them grow up a bit.
Every year I tell myself it's the last year I'm coaching and every year I find myself back in the soap opera entitled, "The Junior High Years as Told by Prepubescent Teenage Girls." Really, I can't believe I was ever that bad. I wasn't, right? Ok, confession time. You want to know why I submit myself to the madness every year? Truthfully, honestly, it's the money. Yikes! I know that sounds really greedy and selfish, but my check pays for our Christmas. So no cheerleading=no Christmas for us. But this year, it was a refreshing change of pace. No teenage angst, no team drama, no girl fights, and no parent phone calls. My cheerleaders were even so sweet as to get me some Sweet Temptations body mist from Vickie's (I hope that's not a subtle hint;), a Target gift card, and dinner and movie tickets for a nite out with Tom. Hmmm, maybe, just maybe, I'll be back next year for a sixth season.

1 comment:

*lindsey* said...

Yay to you too! The end of the season is always nice because you usually forget the notsofun stuff and remember the good memories =)...that'll bring you back next year haha. I want to go to some competitive cheer comps this season, you should join me! =) See you soon, Maria!