12.31.2007

A Return To (Partial) Rationality

After all of my ranting, I feel like I almost need to defend my former employers, and since receiving my lovely little notice I've really tried to see things from their perspective. Really, I have. They've recently bought the business from their parents (who hired me in the very beginning almost 6 years ago & I believe my former place of employment is now a 3rd generation family run business) and now business is down so they're looking for ways to cut corners and save some money. So they come up with this plan to let go of the cleaning lady and then perhaps just require all of the other employees to pick up some of the slack. (I really don't know, I'm just assuming that's what they'll do because that's what they did last time.) A plan that probably looks pretty good on paper for them but in reality really sucks big time financially for my family. Thus all of the hysterics, the crying, the ranting, the raving...

But what it really comes down to is that my former employers never had any real responsibility and were under no obligation whatsoever to keep me permanently and forever employed. And I knew this. For all they knew my weekly paycheck was fun money, not the means of survival it really was. But I really doubt it. It's not like they don't know me or my family; I do happen to coach their daughter in track. Although again to be fair, a discussion on my family's finances has never taken place between me and them. As a small family owned business you would think that they would be looking out for their employees a little more so. Trying to cut other corners before cutting out someone's job entirely. And that's where I feel like there was no effort made. And that's probably why I feel so cheated and wronged.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

You are way too nice LOL! But, how awesome to (try) to keep a positive outlook. Better than I would have done. :) Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Like Nic said, you are way too nice. It's good you are trying to see it from a different perspective..still hard though.

Zoe said...

i think you have every right to feel hurt. you would think they could have at least told you in person and not right before Christmas.