12.22.2008

Down For The Count

That was me Friday. I felt the flu coming on as I was going into the last couple hours of my shift early Friday morning. I made it home and didn't actually get sick until around 6 and then again at 8:30am. After that, the ache set in and unbelievable exhaustion. The kids woke to find mommy on the couch with these instructions:
  • sippy cups (of juice) were in the fridge
  • watch cartoons
  • stay away from mommy's germs

For the rest of the day the kids ran the house. In my complete and utter sickness I almost didn't care about the inevitable destruction that I would surely awake to come Saturday morning. I was able to summon enough strength to pop some toast into the toaster and left them with little butter knives, honey, and scoops of butter for breakfast. Somewhere around 2:30 Austin repeated his request for lunch so I pulled myself out of bed to plop some jelly in one bowl, peanut butter in another, dispersed more butter knives, bread and oranges and left them to make their own pbj's. By the time Tom came home, Lexi had taken it upon herself to make dinner and had handed out bowls of cookies sprinkles and decorations to everyone. And I was so sick, I didn't.even.care. My mom came later with homemade turkey soup to balance out the sugar rush and kept the kids occupied for awhile.

I woke up Saturday morning feeling quite a bit better but still completely wiped out. It's now Monday, I've been through one round of Christmas shopping, church, Christmas with the Hosmer family and an 8 hour shift at work. My strength is back but my stomach is still a little queasy, too much still for me to enjoy my beloved 1/2 pot of coffee in the morning. So that's where I'm at. 3 days before Christmas and frantically trying to make up for all of the lost time and energy from my "sick day". Today's agenda:

  • finish Christmas cards
  • put away gifts from yesterday's Christmas
  • write thank you notes
  • clean up the house
  • catch up on laundry
  • plan Christmas eve & Christmas day menus

Happy Monday!


3 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh maria! I'm sorry to hear you were so sick. That bug is a nasty one isn't it? I was cracking up at the thought of your 3 kids left to fend for themselves with meal ingredients dumped into bowls HAHA! Too funny! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Katie said...

Uhhhh....I had that same bug, actually my whole family got it. Glad to hear your feeling better :)

Me said...

So how'd you do on your list now that you're getting better? :)

Hope the bug stays away from everyone else, especially w/ Christmas just around the corner!