11.28.2007

Anatomy of a Mommy Purse

I have a dilemma. See, I've been carrying around a super cute handbag (or maybe I should say, "mommy bag") all fall. It's a rusty orange color with quilted pockets. I saw it back in July at Target and knew immediately that I had to have it. I put off spending the $20 for at least 2 weeks until I couldn't stand it anymore and bought the dang thing (on sale, no less, for $14.99). Anyways, my problem is this: I don't consider it to be fall anymore (even though winter is still technically 20ish days away). In my perfect little world I cannot possibly carry a fall styled bag now that winter is practically here. So switch to another purse, you're thinking. Well, that's just the thing. I have this "Coach" purse that has been sitting in my closet unused for 5 months; a really-cute-hot-pink-splash-of-brightness-in-the-dreary-winter-weather kind of purse. But the fall purse is really a bag and the Coach purse is really a dinky little thing, more for looks than practicality.

So, how do I get 6+ pounds of crap (yes, I actually weighed my bag) into a purse designed to hold about 10 ounces of dainty lady things? Any suggestions? My purse is really my grown up version of a security blanket, I can't possibly go anywhere without it. I know your all dying to know exactly what it is I'm lugging around with me every day, so I'll leave you with the breakdown:
  • 3 pens
  • 1 purple bunny barrette
  • a Kate Spade perfume card, sprayed with something too expensive for me to wear
  • a leaking bottle of hand sanitizer
  • 4 individual packets of Wet Ones moist wipes
  • a lip palette from The Body Shop
  • 2 hair ties
  • a pot of Burt's Bess lemon butter cuticle creme
  • 2 tampons
  • my wallet/checkbook
  • Lexi's winter hat & mittens
  • Austin's mittens
  • the last 2 days' mail, including: 3 catalogs, 2 thankyou's, an invite, a sample box of tampons from Tampax, and a bunch of junk
  • a Huggies size 3 diaper
  • a travel case of wipes
  • a pair of pink Old Navy socks
  • 2 travel size, winter themed packages of Swankie hankies
  • a bag of Pure Romance products that I have to deliver to a friend
  • a small blush brush
  • 1 size 3 brown "dress-up-for-church" shoe
  • a hair brush
  • a calculator
  • 2 note pads
  • my coupon organizer
  • a small bag of Quaker Oat oatmeal squares
  • Lexi's pretend cell phone
  • checkbook for bank account #2
  • checkbook for health savings account
  • a small, rubber pink pig
  • an old gum wrapper
  • no money

4 comments:

Me said...

Uh yah, I don't think your cute hot pink purse is going to cut it. Stick to the fall purse :)

Julie said...

My Gosh! And I thought I was bad about my purse. You definitely win the prize for having a bunch of stuff you don't need in your purse!! :)I agree with wethyb....you should definitely stick with the fall purse. Maybe use the cute one for dates with Tom when you go somewhere without the kids.

Anonymous said...

YOu have a TON of stuff in your purse. Then again, I don't have much roo to talk. I have been cramming a ton into mine lately, too. Can't wait to see you Saturday so we can chat. Oh, I have a check for you, too. :)

Zoe said...

LOL i think our purses are related. i found some gross stuff in mine the other day. i tried to go with a smaller "coach" one recently and i ended up breaking the zipper out. boo hiss.