11.13.2007

Chunky milk, anyone?

What a beautiful fall day!!! After driving all the way across town to take Austin to preschool this afternoon, we discovered it had been canceled due to a power outage. Too bad I wasn't home to get that message on time. The trip wasn't a total waste of my $3.25/gal. gas because on the way to school we had stopped by my grandpa and grandma Hrebec's. They spend the summer waaaay up north and we hadn't seen them since before they left in May. It was nice to visit with them and the kids were absolutely thrilled when they were able to catch the cuckoo bird popping out of their cuckoo clock.

I decided to take full advantage of the nice weather when we got home, so Austin helped me clean out the van. Audrey was snoozin' in her car seat and Lexi was enjoying her freedom in the sunshine. I must have carried in 7 loads of crap from the van while Austin vacuumed with Tom's shop vac. I swear I just did this 2 weeks ago! I put everything from the van right inside the front door in the living room. We were just finishing up so I took Lexi inside before I went back out to get Audrey. I came back to see her happily sipping chunky milk that had been in the van for a good 6 days. Yes, 6 days. I know this because it was the sippy cup that I took for her when we had a playdate at my cousin's last Wednesday.

I do not, however, know how long the full gallon of rotten milk had been fermenting before I found that in my bedroom yesterday. I know what you're thinking, especially after seeing the pics of my living room and Austin's room, but honestly I don't live in a pigsty. At least not most of the time. My room was actually all in order except for these 2 bags of stuff that my mom had given me. But, you know, life gets busy and my mom is always sending over bags of junk to go through. Stuff she doesn't want anymore and is passing along to me.

I honestly cannot recall when she gave me these 2 bags. I do know that the said bags were parked inside my front door for at least 3 0r 4 days before last Thursday when I moved them from the living room to my bedroom. Without bothering to first peek inside. See, I had my friend Angie coming over to pick up her son who was playing with Austin and Nicole stopping by to drop off our family Christmas cards. I wanted my living room to look "perfect"- ha, ha- and I just didn't get a chance to go through those bags. "I know," I thought, "I'll just stick these bags in the bedroom and go through them later when I get a free moment." Too bad my free moment didn't come until yesterday. (Now you know my dirty little secret. If you drop by to visit and the house looks perfect, chances are there is a closet ready to explode off its hinges or there's dirty dishes in the oven.)

So there I was in the bedroom yesterday making the bed and hanging up some laundry. I'm practically tripping over these bags from my mom every time I try to get in the closet. It was early morning, the kids were still waking up with their juice and watching Playhouse Disney and Lexi was contently playing next to me so I decided to take a moment to sort through all of the goodies and surprise, surprise! A once-full gallon of vitamin D milk, reduced to a sour watery liquid with big floating chunks peeking up at me from inside the second brown bag. Somebody, please, get me a maid!

(I'll post pics of Austin's now cleaned room later to redeem myself.)

ta da!!!!








3 comments:

Julie said...

How many times have I found Jalyn drinking chunky milk out of a long lost sippy cup....too many times to count. What is it about sour milk that kids like so much?? Yuck! I've never had a gallon of milk hiding away in my bedroom or anywhere for that matter! That stinks!(Literally, I'm sure!):) At least you can say you got the van cleaned out after all that. That's more than I can say for myself!

Zoe said...

I've never had milk hidden in my bedroom...but i did loose a package of chicken breasts in my car once. so. not. pretty.

Me said...

Ewww, rotten milk is the worst! I don't think I've ever had that in my bedroom either. I think I did have something or another growing in my car, too, once.