11.16.2007

The Christmas Parade


Tom and I took the kids downtown tonite for the Christmas parade. This is my favorite parade of the year, by far, and I think I get just as excited as the kids. Although it's always freezing cold, it's the perfect way to welcome in the holiday season. We love the marching bands playing Christmas music, feeling the heat from the flames of the hot-air balloon baskets, and we anxiously wait for Santa's arrival on the last float of the parade.


As always, the kids managed to each score a handful of candy as the parade participants were throwing it out. Audrey has quite the sweet tooth and she was intent on unwrapping her sucker as we headed back to the van. I was trailing behind with her as we walked down the sidewalk. She had already peeled off one mitten to better get at the wrapper and was completely absorbed in her task. I heard Tom call out to her to watch out. I glanced over at her just in time to see her stumble down onto the grate surrounding one of the many trees that are planted downtown along the sidewalks. She then walked straight into the tree. She rocked the small tree so hard she was thrown back on her biscuits and the real object of her focus tumbled away on the sidewalk. Now, being the compassionate, loving mother that I am, I burst out laughing so hard that I bent over double and nearly peed my pants. Audrey had so many layers on that she just kinda layed sprawled out on the sidewalk. As Tom helped her get to her feet, I heard her mutter, "Where's my sucker?" What a classic moment! Oh, how I wish I had captured it on video!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

That is hilarious! Leave it to her to be worried about the sucker LOL! Sounds like the kids enjoyed the parade! We went, and all Porter cared about were the trucks and the trailers they were pulling. Forget the lights, band, songs, etc etc... HAHA!

Julie said...

Sounds like you had fun! We've never gone to the parade before. Maybe we should next year! The story about Audrey is hilarious!

Zoe said...

HA! you are nuts girl it was way too cold for me!